The 2019-2020 annual campaign is closed.
This annual holiday season campaign always begins in early November and runs thru the first week of January. Donations to the Fund are also accepted at any time throughout the year. Donors may send their check directly to the Foundation, mail or bring their check to the Vallejo Times-Herald office in Vallejo, or make a contribution online. Click on the "Donate" button in the top right-hand side of this page to make your contribution via PayPal.
During the holiday fund drive, the names of each donor are published in the Vallejo Times-Herald newspaper almost every day, with a running total of monies raised. Donations are listed in the order they are received, using the donor's name and amount of their gift. Many donors give multiple gifts during the drive in memory of their loved ones.
2019 GRANTS AWARDED = $27,431
- $17,830 - to the Sparrow Project
- $6,858 - to Faith Food Fridays
- $2,743 - to Christian Help Center
FUND HISTORY & PURPOSE
Since 1985, the Vallejo Times-Herald has raised over $850,000 from their annual holiday appeal known as "The Community Christmas Card." In 2003, Ted Vollmer, then the editor of the Vallejo Times-Herald, established the Community Christmas Card Fund at the Foundation to help administer the receipt of donations and award monies raised. The Solano Community Foundation processes all of the gifts received and sends out thank you letters to all donors.
Contributions made to this fund will directly benefit Vallejo residents in dire need of food, clothing and shelter, especially during the winter months. Hundreds of individuals and businesses make donations every year; in person, through the mail, and online. The Times-Herald also publishes stories about the selected nonprofit grantees to help donors become better acquainted with these wonderful charitable organizations and the vital services they provide to those in need.
On Christmas Day, the newspaper publishes a special Community Christmas Card listing the names of all the donors on one big, beautiful page. In late January, grant awards are processed from the monies raised, and checks are distributed to the designated nonprofits.
2018 GRANTS AWARDED = $30,502.45
- $18,301.46 - to the Sparrow Project
- $4,575.37 - to Faith Food Fridays
- $3,050.25 - to Christian Help Center
- $3,050.25 - to Vallejo Salvation Army
- $1,525.12 - to Florence Douglas Senior Center
2017 GRANTS AWARDED - TOTAL = $30,471.34
- $18,282.80 - to the Sparrow Project
- $4,570.70 - to Christian Help Center
- $4,570.70 - to Vallejo Salvation Army
- $1,523.57 - to Florence Douglas Senior Center
- $1,523.57 - Vallejo Together Support Services (Mira Theatre Guild)
2016 CHRISTMAS GRANTS AWARDED - TOTAL = $32,138.90
- $14,462.50 - to the Sparrow Project
- $8,034.75 - to Christian Help Center
- $8,034.75 - to Vallejo Salvation Army
- $1,606.90 - to Florence Douglas Senior Center
2015 CHRISTMAS GRANTS AWARDED - TOTAL = $32,826.00
- $14,772.00 - to the Sparrow Project
- $6,565.00 - to Christian Help Center
- $8,206.00 - to Vallejo Salvation Army
- $3,283.00 - to Florence Douglas Senior Center