The 2020 - 2021 annual campaign achieved a new record in total gifts raised of $67,650. Many thanks to those who donated!
FUND HISTORY & PURPOSE
Since 1985, the Vallejo Times-Herald has raised over $850,000 from their annual holiday appeal known as "The Community Christmas Card." In 2003, Ted Vollmer, then the editor of the Vallejo Times-Herald, established the Community Christmas Card Fund at the Foundation to help administer the receipt of donations and award monies raised. The Solano Community Foundation processes all of the gifts received and sends out thank you letters to all donors.
Contributions made to this fund directly benefit Vallejo residents in dire need of food, clothing and shelter, especially during the winter months. Hundreds of individuals and businesses make donations every year; in person, through the mail, and online. The Times-Herald also publishes stories about the selected nonprofit grantees to help donors become better acquainted with these wonderful charitable organizations and the vital services they provide to those in need.
In mid-January, the newspaper will publish a special Community Christmas Card listing the names of all the donors on one big, beautiful page. In late January, SCF processes the grant awards from the monies raised, and checks are distributed to designated nonprofit organizations who help those Vallejo famiies and individuals in need of food, shelter, and clothing.
2020 GRANTS AWARDED = $64,767
- $38,860 - to the Sparrow Project
- $19,430 - to Faith Food Fridays
- $6,477 - to Christian Help Center
2019 GRANTS AWARDED = $27,431
- $17,830 - to the Sparrow Project
- $6,858 - to Faith Food Fridays
- $2,743 - to Christian Help Center
2018 GRANTS AWARDED = $30,502
- $18,301 - to the Sparrow Project
- $4,575 - to Faith Food Fridays
- $3,050 - to Christian Help Center
- $3,050 - to Vallejo Salvation Army
- $1,525 - to Florence Douglas Senior Center
2017 GRANTS AWARDED - TOTAL = $30,471.34
- $18,283 - to the Sparrow Project
- $4,571 - to Christian Help Center
- $4,571 - to Vallejo Salvation Army
- $1,524 - to Florence Douglas Senior Center
- $1,524 - Vallejo Together Support Services (Mira Theatre Guild)
2016 CHRISTMAS GRANTS AWARDED - TOTAL = $32,138.90
- $14,463 - to the Sparrow Project
- $8,035 - to Christian Help Center
- $8,035 - to Vallejo Salvation Army
- $1,607 - to Florence Douglas Senior Center