Make a secure donation via Paypal to Dr. Ethan R. Sellers Memorial Scholarship Fund.
2022 Dr. Ethan R. Sellers Memorial Scholarship - winner announced!
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
1. be from, currently attending, or planning to attend a school in Solano County, Napa County, Yolo County or the state of Pennsylvania, and
2. have completed at least three years of undergraduate studies by the end of June of the year in which the scholarship will be awarded and be in pursuit of a 4-year university degree at a minimum, in a health care field (nursing school, medical technology, etc.), OR
3. be accepted to a post-grad program in a health care field or be a post-grad student pursuing a career in a health care field (medical school, pharmacy school, etc.), and
4. have maintained at least a 3.2 cumulative grade point average (GPA) during their undergraduate (or graduate) studies.
5. must also be from historically disadvantaged or underserved background, or be underrepresented in health care professions.
Dr. Ethan Ross Sellers passed away on July 4, 2019. The Dr. Ethan R. Sellers Memorial Scholarship Fund was established to honor his memory by awarding scholarships to deserving students in Dr. Sellers' name.
Dr. Sellers was a 2016 graduate of Thomas Jefferson University Sidney Kimmel School of Medicine in Philadelphia, PA. He then attended the Family Medicine Residency program at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center-Vallejo and graduated in June 2019. Ethan was to continue his education with a Palliative Care Fellowship at UC Davis Medical Center. During both Medical School and Residency, Dr. Sellers was elected to the Gold Humanism Honor Society.
Ethan loved life and lived it to its fullest. His hearts' desire was to serve others, and although his time in medicine was brief, he touched many lives, bringing his warmth, compassion and kindness to all. He had a passion for writing and participated in literary circles and had published several of his pieces. He was an avid outdoorsman and was equally thrilled by climbing a mountain or strolling on a beach. More than anything he loved people - making connections, helping anyone he could, sharing his enthusiasm for life.
"Dr. Sellers was a wonderfully humanistic person; an outstanding physician who really took the time to get to know his patients,” said Kaiser Permanente Vallejo Medical Center Family Residency Program Director Ted O’Connell. “He was a gifted physician and would have been a brilliant palliative care physician. Ethan had a infectious personality; a love for life, and he really cared about the community around him. The world lost a wonderful spirit; a gifted physician who was just beginning his career."
Dr. Sellers enjoyed writing and was often inspried by the places he visited, people he met and experiences he encountered. Click this link to read/download a poem entitled A Home Within the Chest that Ethan wrote during a medical outreach trip to Honduras. Dr. Sellers treated the patient he writes about, while practicing medicine in a rural mountainside mobile clinic. He was both moved by the openness and trust of the people and frustrated by the lack of resources avalable for the village.
Photos shown below (left to right): Ethan and partner Van in Iceland; Ethan on the NorCal Coast; Ethan's Kaiser Permanente Vallejo photo; Ethan and brother Jordan at Jordan's college graduation; Ethan and parents in Key West; Ethan's family in Philadelphia on Mother's Day 2019.