Give Local Solano is a 24-hour giving event, held in conjunction with #GivingTuesday. This is a global day of giving that falls on the Tuesday following American Thanksgiving each year. It is an event that celebrates generosity and kindness by encouraging everyone who can, to give to nonprofit organizations all around the world.
In the same way that Black Friday and Cyber Monday kick off the holiday buying season, #GivingTuesday kicks off the giving season.
This 'philanthropic holiday' sets itself apart as a social media celebration, hence the hashtag you often see associated with it (#GivingTuesday). Many donors who give to charities on #GivingTuesday also share stories about their favorite causes on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc., and encourage their friends to give, too.
SCF believes in giving locally to help support and build capacity of the nonprofits serving Solano County. We believe in and advocate for a strong, independent nonprofit sector.
To make a donation to the Give Local Solano Fund at any time of the year, just click on the DONATE button on this page.
Nonprofit organizations are essential to the vitality of our community, and vital in building a better life for Solano residents. We respect and nurture nonprofits so they can do the important and challenging work of creating a social safety net, promoting civic engagement, enriching us through arts, education and culture, and protecting the environment.
"We succeed when nonprofits are recognized and supported for their economic impact, when they are perceived as effective agents of change, engaged with community partners to solve real problems and enhance lives." - Unknown
GIVE LOCAL SOLANO HISTORY
The first-ever county-wide Give Local Solanofundraising campaign was held on May 3, 2016 in partnership withtwenty-eight local nonprofit organizations. We are forever grateful to them fortheirenthusiasm and support. Their advance efforts in encouraging donors to contributewas an essential part of the entire event.The collaborative effort itself increased interaction and camaraderie with SCF and among the participants.
Although the day was less than perfect due to technical difficulties encountered by the giving platform, there weresolid positive outcomes realized.These are just a few:
- We were successful in raising recognition of the need for a culture of philanthropy in this county
- With the help of many supporters,the participating nonprofits increasedtheir visibility and lifted public awareness of their needs.
- Every mayor in Solano County and the Board of Supervisors proclaimed May 3, 2016 as Give Local Solano Day.
- Several of the local access TV channels aired the GLS promotional video, which was made possible by Mayor Augustine and created by the City of Vacaville's PIO department.
- The county put it up on their main web page, as did some of the cities, and it was posted on the GLS web page, Facebook, Twitter, and on the websites of ourparticipating organizations.
- The Fairfield Daily Republic alone published six articles about Give Local Solano and Solano Community Foundation.
- The Vallejo Times-Herald published an article a couple of days before the event, and named every one of the participating organizations.
- After GLS Day, both newspapers published an article summing up the event, including both positive and negative outcomes.
- We made new business partnerships and reconnected with existing partners.
2016 FAIRFIELD-SUISUN CHAMBER - BUZZ AWARD
SCF and KUIC 95.3, won the Fairfield-Suisun Chamber of Commerce Buzz Award for Best Partnership of 2016.The award was a result of the partnership between our two organizations during the recent Give Local Solano fundraising campaign on May 3, 2016. KUIC ran a number of PSAs about the event and a ‘Home Town’ segment and made two broadcasts from our operations center – their ‘Ultimate Coffee Break’ happened on the day of the event. After the GLS review meeting on the 6th,KUIC came back to SCF with their ‘Free Lunch Friday’ and made a second broadcast.Their partnership and publicity enabled the GLS event to become widely known throughout KUIC’s broadcast area.
Board vice-chair Henry Beecher and chief executive officer Connie Harris accepted the award on behalf of SCF during the presentation event at the Harbor Theatre in Suisun on June 17, 2016. “We’re honored and grateful that the Chamber and its members acknowledged the support and partnership KUIC provided the Foundation for the GLS event – they were truly amazing!” CEO Harris said on receiving the award.
A Certificate of Recognition from the California State Legislature, signed by State Senator Lois Wolk and District 4 Assemblyman Jim Frazier, accompanied the award.
2016 GLS GIVING RESULTS
Inaugural GiveLocalSolano fundraising results for the participating organizations.
(Online & Offline)
|Benicia Community Gardens
|Children's Network of Solano County
|Children's Nurturing Project
|Connections For Life
|Dreamcatchers Empowerment Network
|Fairfield Community Services Foundation
|Fighting Back Partnership
|Florence Douglas Senior Center
|Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano
|Girls on the Run Napa & Solano
|Give Local Solano Incentive Fund
|Healthy Cooking with Kids, Inc
|Meals on Wheels of Solano County
|Napa-Solano Audubon Society
|Project Kind Initiative Kids Shoes
|Rio Vista CARE
|Solano Community College Educational Foundation
|Solano County Library Foundation
|Solano Family & Children's Services
|Solano Kids Insurance Program
|Solano Land Trust
|Solano Symphony Orchestra
|Solano-Napa Habitat for Humanity
|The Hope Project
|Vallejo Community Arts Foundation, Inc.
|Vallejo Symphony Association
|Zamboanga Hermosa Inc. of Northern California
| TOTAL GIFTS