MAKING A GIFT TO SCF
- Year-end tax planning: Just earned a large bonus, but no time to decide on the most deserving charities? Establish a Non-endowed (Donor Advised) Fund for an immediate tax deduction, and stay involved in your gift for years to come.
- Simple alternative to private foundations: Thinking about establishing a private foundation, but looking for a better, simpler way? Or, frustrated with the ongoing management of your private foundation? Establish a Non-endowed (Donor Advised) Fund and stay personally involved with the distribution of gift dollars. Use Solano Community Foundation grant expertise for community knowledge and greater impact.
- Strategic giving: Passionate about meeting a specific community need and want to make a meaningful gift? Solano Community Foundation uses expertise in local need to recommend ways to make the greatest impact.
- Sale of a business: Own highly appreciated stock in a company that is about to be acquired? Structure a charitable gift of stock before the company is sold to reduce capital gains and increase charitable deductions. Establish a Non-endowed (Donor Advised) Fund so a once-in-a-lifetime event can help you do good, forever.
- Closely held stock: Personal net worth tied up in a closely held company but want to give back? Donate a portion of company stock to the Solano Community Foundation and the company may buy it back for fair market value. Establish a Non-endowed (Donor Advised) Fund or planned gift and you are eligible for a tax deduction at the fair market value of appreciated stock (less any planned gift value).
- Preserving an estate: Estate planning identifies significant taxes going to the IRS, but want to keep tax dollars local? Reduce taxable estate through a charitable bequest or other planned gift. Create a personal legacy in community that stays true to your charitable intent forever.
EVER-CHANGING COMMUNITY NEEDS
When you make a charitable gift to the Foundation, your generosity can address a broad range of local needs — including future needs that often cannot be anticipated at the time your gift is made. We evaluate all aspects of community well-being: arts and culture, economic development, education, environment, health and human services, neighborhood revitalization, and more. The flexibility of your non-endowed (unrestricted) gift enables the Solano Community Foundation’s program experts to respond to the community’s most pressing needs, today and tomorrow.
When you set no restrictions on the use of your gift, it enables our experienced program staff and board to do what we do best — assess community needs and respond by awarding program grants to the nonprofit organizations that undertake our community’s most critical work. Unrestricted Funds enable the Solano Community Foundation to support long-term solutions; respond quickly to emergencies; and meet changing social, cultural, educational, or environmental needs in our local community.
CREATING AN EVER-LASTING LEGACY
Endowed (Permanent Named) Funds may bear the name of an individual, family, or business, and creates a legacy for the donor in perpetuity. Endowments are very powerful philanthropic tools. As an endowment donor/fundholder, you use the growing dividends and interest of your Fund to make grants, without invading the principal. Because the Foundation is a permanent entity, your charitable intent will always be protected.
You can work with the Solano Community Foundation’s professional staff to suggest ongoing uses for the fund — targeting the issues you care about most. It’s a simple, powerful, and highly personal approach to giving. Your gift may be combined with others to increase its impact, and you can add to the fund you establish at any time, receiving tax benefits with each new gift.
Nonprofit organizations can also establish an endowed (agency endowment) at the Solano Community Foundation. It’s a simple and efficient way to build an endowment — and help create sustainability — for your nonprofit organization. The Solano Community Foundation’s experienced staff will handle all the administrative details, and the Finance and Investment Committee will oversee the growth of your endowed fund.
Your donors can be sure that the endowment fund’s principal will not be spent and can grow over time, providing a source of lasting support. And the Solano Community Foundation’s economies of scale provide your organization the benefits of a diverse investment portfolio and low investment fees that typically come only with very large funds.
Your organization’s regular donors can leave a bequest through the Solano Community Foundation to benefit your organization forever and create a personal legacy. The Solano Community Foundation can facilitate even the most complex planned gifts or gifts of appreciated stock or real estate.